7 Centuries and 36 City Blocks
from Van Gogh To Van Dongen
NEW YORK, NY – Thirty of the world’s leading international art dealers will exhibit an outstanding array of drawings, paintings, watercolors, sculpture and oil sketches from the 14th to the 21st centuries during the 2019 edition of [Master Drawings New York (MDNY) from Saturday, January 26th through Saturday, February 2nd.
Now in its 13th year, the annual week-long event presents a flurry of concurrent exhibitions mostly along Madison Avenue on Manhattan’s Upper East Side. The event features pop-up gallery exhibitions by leading dealers from London, Paris, Madrid, Amsterdam, Brussels and Vienna, and special presentations mounted in private gallery spaces by top New York specialists.
Last year, MDNY expanded its purview to feature paintings and sculpture and offered collectors, curators and art lovers a spectacular range of works presented by a broader range of specialist dealers. This has been strengthened in quality with the addition of new dealers this year.
MDNY continues to grow with the addition of several new exhibitors who are at the top of their respective fields. They are Ambrose Naumann Fine Art (New York), Galerie Kugel (Paris), Jack Kilgore (New York), Leon Tovar (New York), Robert Simon (New York), Mark Brady (New York), Stuart Lochhead (London), Hazlitt (New York/London), Thomas Deprez Fine Art (Belgium), Pavel Zoubok (New York), Jeroen Jurjens (Amsterdam), Benjamin Proust (London).
Having spent months gathering rarities for the January 2019 edition, the 30 participating exhibitors will unveil new surprises. Originally conceived as an annual walk-through, Master Drawings New York has grown into a ‘must see’ event, receiving strong support as its range and influence has grown each year. Each exhibition is hosted by an expert specialist and many works on offer are newly discovered or have not been seen on the market in decades, if at all.
Crispian Riley-Smith, Co-Founding Director of MDNY comments that,
“Master Drawings New York reminds us that the whole of art history is continually evolving. Each year our exhibitors curate astonishing exhibitions around works of art that are simply the finest examples available on the market. These works may be new and important discoveries, which happily in our fields, are still possible. The interest from the public has grown with new clients discovering this exciting field, and we are fortunate to enjoy the continued support of loyal clients.”
2019 MDNY EXHIBITORS
*Denotes new exhibitor
● Ambrose Naumann Fine Art (USA): 19th and 20th-century paintings and works on paper *
● Benjamin Proust (UK): European sculpture and works of art, with a particular emphasis on bronzes and the Renaissance *
● Christopher Bishop (USA): Old Master Drawings
● Colnaghi (Spain, USA, UK): Fine Art from the 1st to the 20th centuries, Artur Ramon Art (Spain) Spanish Master Drawings: from Cano to Picasso
● David Tunick (USA): Old Master – Modern Prints and Drawings
● Découvert Fine Art (USA): Drawings, paintings, and objects discovered in France and Italy
● Didier Aaron (France, USA): Master Drawings, 1600-1875
● Findlay Galleries (USA): Specialists/Impressionism, European Modernism, l’Ecole de Rouen, l’Ecole de Paris and 20th Century American Art
● Galerie Kugel (France, USA): European Works of Art and Sculpture; Portraits from the French Renaissance Drawings, Paintings, Enamels, and Sculptures*
● Graham Shay 1857 (USA), Kapoor Galleries (USA) *
● Guy Peppiatt (UK): 18th and 19th-century British Watercolors and Drawings
● Hazlitt, Gooden & Fox (USA, UK) Modern and Contemporary British art *
● Jack Kilgore (USA): Master Paintings *
● James Mackinnon (UK): Old Masters, 19th Century Paintings, Watercolors and Drawings
● Jill Newhouse (USA): 19th and 20th century European and American works on paper
● Leon Tovar (USA): – Modern Latin American Art; Latin American Master Drawings *
● Martyn Gregory (UK): British Watercolors and Drawings
● W. M. Brady & Co., Inc. (USA): Old Master Drawings; Old Master and 19th-century Drawings, 1520-1930 *
● Mia Weiner (USA): Old Master Drawings
● Michael Werner Gallery (USA, UK): PIERRE PUVIS DE CHAVANNES Works on Paper and Paintings
● Mireille Mosler (USA): Dutch drawings from the 16th to 20th century; Darkness in Belgian Symbolism
● Pavel Zoubok Fine Art (USA) Contemporary Art with a focus on collage, assemblage, and mixed media installation; Special exhibition of early drawings by Arshile Gorky (c. 1902-1948) *
● Pia Gallo (USA), Richard Berman (USA) and Jeroen Jurjens* (Netherlands)
● Robert Simon (USA): European works of the Renaissance and Baroque periods –generally from 1300 to 1800; Introducing Anthony Baus: After the Antique*
● Stephen Ongpin Fine Art (UK): Master drawings, watercolors and oil sketches dating from the 16th through the 20th centuries
● Stuart Lochhead Sculpture (UK): antiquity to the 20th century works *
● Taylor & Graham (USA): American and European paintings from the 19th and 20th centuries
● Thomas Deprez Fine Art (Belgium): Belgian Art from the 19th and 20th century *
● Tomasso Brothers (UK): European sculpture from the early Renaissance to the Neoclassical periods, with a particular knowledge of European Renaissance bronzes
● W&K – Wienerroither & Kohlbacher (Austria, USA): – Austrian Secessionist, German Expressionist and International Modern paintings and works on paper
About Master Drawings New York
Masters Drawings New York, the pre-eminent event for drawings on the calendar of art lovers, began as a casual gallery walk during the Old Masters auctions and The Winter Antiques Show in New York. Since its co-founding in 2006 by Margot Gordon, an Old Masters specialist based in the city, and Crispian Riley-Smith of London, the week has grown into a highly anticipated occasion.
Master Drawings New York
January 26 – February 2, 2019, 11 a.m. – 6 p.m.